To commemorate the Great Fire of 1666, Sir Christopher Wren was commissioned by Charles II to build the Monument, which he did between 1671 and 1677. It is a Doric column of Portland stone, rising to a height of 202 feet, topped by a flaming urn which symbolises the fire.
One can reach the balcony by climbing 311 steps within the column for a magnificent view over the Ward, the City and the river.
The base is decorated with an allegorical figure, showing Charles II with his brother comforting a seated figure representing the City, surrounded by devastation.
The Monument is the tallest single standing column in the world.